The time had come where we will see how many of the embryos took. We know at least one of them did but Michael and I had a strong feeling that both did. Plus at our ages we had our fingers crossed that there were two so this would be our only pregnancy.
So I'm on the table and Michael is sitting down in a chair against the wall. I tell Ruthie, my ultrasound tech from the beginning of this process, that I think there are two in there. She states that she needs to do her measurements first then she'll let us know. After a few minutes pass we hear her say, "Hmmm, this is interesting". She proceeds to tell us that she sees one heartbeat. My own flutters at hearing that. Then she asks me if I'm ready. I said "yes" and she asks me if I'm sure. Again, I say "yes". She then tells us what we never would have suspected and that there are two more heartbeats. Triplets! Michael doesn't say peep since I think he's either in shock or ready to pass out. Good thing he was sitting down! I start with the mixed laughing/crying and the first thought is daycare is going to cost how much??!??
We go back to the waiting room wo wait and meet with the doctor. Michael and I are still stunned at the news and really don't know what to say. When the doctor came to get us I gave him a big hug and thank you since this has totally amazed us. We went to his office where he tells us that they don't like to see triplets due to the complications. He asks us if we would consider selective reduction (terminating one or two of the embryos) to give the other one or two a better chance of making it. My first reaction was NO! but to Michael's point was we would need to wait and see what happens. Since this was still quite early - just about 5 weeks along - mother nature could intervene. My thought was if it wasn't meant to be, then it was her job to do something about it. The tricky part about selective reduction in our case was that one of the embryos split, resulting in identical twins. You can't reduce one of them so it would have to either be both, or the other embryo. Reducing has other complications which could lead to losing the entire pregnancy. Not something we wanted to risk. We believed this has happened for a reason although we weren't sure why yet.
Here are some of the pictures from the first time we saw all three babies. The babies themselves are about the sixe of a grain of rice. Their yolk sac is the same size as them and will disappear once the placentas take over.
Babies A & B (the identical twins) on the right:

Baby C on the left (Baby B is in view on the right):

May 14, 2008
The next step was to have the follow up ultrasound the following week to see how things were progressing. At that point, I would be released from the fertility clinic to my obstetrician.
The next ultrasound showed all three little beans doing quite well and their strong little hearts beating away.
Here is a picture from that ultrasound:
No comments:
Post a Comment